Thursday, April 30, 2009
No no not what you are thinking... ;)
"Bedding contains thousands of dust mites that can irritate sensitive skin and exacerbate eczema, according to a new study. Wash sheets in H2O that's at least 140 degrees Fahrenheit to make sure you kill the critters. "
This was taken from Fitness magazine's May issue
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Total Beauty has came up with a list of the Top 11 hair Cities...
8. Los Angeles
6. New York
5. San Francisco
4. Anchorage, Alaska
3. San Diego
1. Santa Barbara
Click here to see why these cities ranked the highest... Top 11 Best Hair Cities
Fitness magazine has a great section in their May issue about keeping your skin safe in the sun...
Memorize this short list to keep your skin safe-and young looking.
Slather on sunscreen: ( I know all of us hear this all the time...but there is a reason for it...it's super important!!!)
- 365 days a year. UVB rays (they burn you) peak in June, but UVA rays (they age you) stay constant year round.
- Rain or Shine. 40% of UV rays penetrate skin on cloudy days.
- At least every 90 minutes when outdoors; immediately after a swim.
- 30 minutes before going outside, to allow ingredients to activate (especially if you have fair skin!)
Thirty minutes of making out can improve allergy symptoms. Research shows that kissing reduces the amount of chemicals your body releases in response to allergens.
So pucker up!!
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
I found this on www.beautybloggingjunkie.com!
"WIN High Performance Sport Detergent is the first laundry detergent specially formulated to eliminate embedded sweat and odors found in athletic attire. WIN gets rid of odor while maintaining the sweat-wicking efficacy of your Lululemon and Under Armour. WIN is also the official licensed detergent of the U.S. Olympic Team and used at training centers across the country.
Available at Dicks Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, specialty stores and online at www.sweatlifter.com. WIN retails for $7."
Sounds like a winner to me...hehehe
Monday, April 27, 2009
Research shows that eating a cup of Yogurt a day kills bacteria in your mouth that produces bad breath and gum disease! So eat up!!
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Everyone usually feels a little happier and sexier in the Spring & Summer time and here is why...
"Light affects the pineal gland, which regulates melatonin." "In winter the pineal gland is more active, creating more melatonin, which can make people sluggish and groggy. In spring, melatonin production is reduced, enabling people to feel a literal lightness of being. More light makes you more energetic and optimistic."
Light and heat also makes us apt to eat less and play more.
Click here to read the full article on MSN... Why you are sexier in the Spring time
Celebrities are lucky enough to work with some of the best trainers out there! Lucky them!! Gwen Stefani has worked with Celebrity Trainer Gunnar Peterson...who by the way is fabulous I have tried his Core Secrets DVD's and they are great!!
Well here is one exercise he has used with Gwen Stefani to sculpt her Arms, Abs, Butt and Legs...all in one Move!!!
Sculpt a Sexy Body
Targets: Arms, core, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a 5- to 10-pound dumbbell in each hand, elbows bent 90 degrees, with palms facing forward. Keeping chest up, squat down.
- As you lift back up through glutes, twist body to the left, allowing feet to pivot so that right heel lifts off the floor. At the same time, press dumbbells overhead.
- Return to start. Switch sides and repeat.
- Do 16 reps, alternating sides. Do 3 sets.
Burn More Calories with Cardio
"Focus on cardio that uses your whole body to challenge more muscles and burn extra calories in less time," says trainer Gunnar Peterson. Try rowing. "It's easy on joints and works every muscle," he says.
These tips are from Fitness Magazine online...to read entire article click here...
Workout like Gwen Stefani
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
A few months ago Victoria Secret launched a line of Organic Products to go with their PINK line.
And I will admit I'm a Victoria Secret addict...especially when it comes to their PINK line.
A few weeks back i bought their new Organic shave cream which claims to give you a smooth shave especially in those sensitive and intimate areas(i.e. bikini line and under arms) with out leaving any razor burn...
Well I will say...IT WORKS!!! I love this stuff! The texture is a bit different from most shave creams and it is not as foamy but it really does the trick. You can definitely get a smooth and razor burn free shave along your bikini line!
The line also includes a variety of lotions; body lotion, hand lotion, and foot lotions, as well as body wash, lip balm and body scrubs. There are four different collections, Energizing, Nourishing, Soothing and a line of Essentials. And to top it off the packaging is eco friendly as well!
Today is Earth Day!!
A few things you can do to help our beautiful earth...
2. Buy energy saving light bulbs
3. Be sure to turn off the lights when not needed!
4. Walk or ride your bike anytime it is not necessary to drive!
5. Use a BPA free water bottle and refill it as needed instead of buying bottled water.
6. Buy Organic beauty products!
7. Plant a tree!
8. Use Grocery tote bags instead of using plastic grocery bags...they have a lot of cute ones out there now and there are wine tote bags too to carry your bottles of wine!
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Monday, April 20, 2009
Total Beauty has complied a list of the Top 23 rated volumizing hair products.
I know I love extra volume especially since I have heavy limp hair...I will pretty much buy any product that promises me great volume. I actually have used many of the products listed and I'm definitely going to try a few others!!
23. Jason The Pro-Vitamin Thin-to-Thick Hair Thickening Shampoo
22. Kerastase Mousse Volumactive Amplifying Perfecting Mousse for Fine, Vulnerbale Hair
21. Finesse BeautiFULL Volume Shampoo
20. Head & Shoulders Extra Volume Shampoo (used this and it works GREAT!!)
19. Garnier Fructis Fortifying Body and Volume Conditioner ( I have this is my shower Now!)
18. PHYTO Phytovolume Actif Volumizer Spray with Keratin Amino Acids
17. Frederic Fekkai Full Volume Mousse
16. Aussie Aussome Volume 2 in 1 Shampoo
15. Sally Hershberger Supreme Head Shampoo for Normal to Thin Hair
14. Bumble and Bumble Thickening Conditioner
13. Marc Anthony Instantly Thick Hair Thickening Cream
12. John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Full Shine Volumizing Mousse
11. Pureology PureVolume Conditioner
10. Nexxus Diametress Luscious Hair Thickening Shampoo
9. Biolage Bodifying Spray Gel
8. TIGI Catwalk Root Boost
7. TreSemme Thermal Creations Volumizing Mousse
6. Suave Professionals Volumizing Root Lifter
5. Redken Guts 10 Volume Spray Foam ( This stuff works great...my sister uses it on all her clients...crazy volume!)
4. Sexy Hair Flip it Over Full & Wild Spray
3. Pantene Pro-V Root Lifting Spray Gel
2. Paul Mitchell Thicken Up
1. Ojon Conditioning Volumizing Foam
Check out the full article and reviews... Top Volumizers
So this past Saturday was an absolutely beautiful day... one which finally called for flip flops and shorts!! Well lets just say all those cold winter months and lack of pedicures really caught up to me. So I decided to give myself a little mani & pedi outside so I could soak up the sun as well. Well my sister came over and decided to join me...she kept telling me that if I paint my nails outside the polish will bubble!!! Well I did not listen and of course she was right!!!
After all the effort of trying to get perfect looking nails about 5 minutes later they were filled with bubbles and are in need for a redo!! booo....
So next time it's beautiful outside and polishing your nails outdoors comes to mind...don't do it!!
Thursday, April 16, 2009
" In a study of women who upped their agua consumption to one liter a day for a year, researchers credited five pounds of their weight loss to the water-confirming for the first time an association between water and weight loss."
Click here to read more on Women's Health magazine Online ... Drink Water to Lose More Weight
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Fitness Magazine has on their website Jessica Simpson's Butt and Leg exercises...
It's an older article...when Jessica had a banging body for playing Daisy Dukes on Dukes of Hazzard...so it has some really great tips! Exercises are described by Harley Pasternak.
Try this for sexy legs...
Do at least 30 minutes of heart-healthy cardio five times a week, says Pasternak. Try cycling, running, in-line skating, and stair climbing, which all have thigh- and calf-sculpting payoffs.
Then sculpt your hamstrings...
- Lie faceup on floor with arms at sides, palms down, and calves on top of a stability ball.
- Engage abs and roll ball toward body with heels, lifting hips.
- Once heels are on top of ball, slowly roll back to start, lowering body to floor.
- Do 20 reps; 3 sets.
Do this for a bootylicious butt...
Cardio: Add some hills to your usual power walk, suggests Pasternak. "Incline walking activates your glutes and hamstrings, plus it's easy on the knees," he says. On a treadmill, set the incline to level 8, and walk at a pace of at least 3.5 mph for 30 minutes. Also try hiking, mountain biking, and climbing stairs.
Killer Butt-Sculpting Exercise
Targets: Hip flexors, glutes, hamstrings, quads, and area just above the knee
- Stand on left leg, 2 to 3 feet in front of chair, with right foot on seat behind you, leaving slight bend in right knee.
- Keeping hands by chin and chest up, bend left knee 90 degrees as right knee inches toward floor. Make sure left knee doesn't just past toes.
- Hold for 1 count. Return to start. Do 10 reps. Switch sides and repeat. Do 3 sets per side.
Total Beauty is at it again and this time they have came up with a list of 18 Life Changing beauty products....check them out!!
- Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly, $4.49 (Hey what do you know...we have plenty of uses for this product in the article below ...wink wink ;)
- Clinique Skin Cushion Body Wash, $19.50
- Kerastase Masque Age Recharge Firming Masque for Devitalized Hair, $58
- Olay Complete All Day UV Moisture Lotion, $8.99
- Nars Blush, $25
- MAC Eye Shadow, $14 ( This is my personal fav!!)
- Herbal Essences Hello Hydration 2-in-1 Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner,$3.99
- Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion, $3.29
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, $16
- mark Glow Baby Glow Luxe Hook-Up Lip Gloss, $5
- CHI 1 Inch Ceramic Flat Iron, $89.95
- MAC Fluidline, $15
- Pantene Always Smooth Shampoo, $4.99
- Max Factor Volume Couture Mascara, $8.29
- Dove Beauty Bar, $3.49
- Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, $15 at salons
- Bare Essentials i.d. bareMinerals Full Coverage Kabuki Brush, $28
- Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum, $18.99
To read the full article and see reviews on each product click here... 18 Life Changing Products
Monday, April 13, 2009
Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly should be in everyone's beauty regimen.... It has so many uses it's unbelievable! Here is a list of all the fantastic uses for it...
1. Put a coat on your eyelashes before you go to bed. Lots of people swear by this- and say it will make your lashes grow longer and thicker over time.
2. Put Vaseline on your elbows and knees everyday- they will stay soft!
3. Put a coat of Vaseline on your feet at night, cover them with some comfy socks and wake up to soft feet everyday!
4. Put Vaseline on chapped lips or use as a lip gloss
5. Apply Vaseline at perfume points before spraying perfume to keep scents lasting longer!
6. Put Vaseline on your cuticles several times a day for softer and better looking cuticles everyday!
7. Mix with Sea Salts to make a body scrub!
8. Use with cotton balls for a smooth make up remover!
9. Can be used as a moisturizer for acne sufferers ( it is a misconception that it clogs pores)
10. Apply under eye shadow for a shiny effect
11. Can be used to smooth and soothe skin after shaving
12. Helps to ease off stuck on rings
13. Tames unruly eyebrows
14. Conditions scalp pre-shampooing
15. Can help prevent chaffing
16. Prevents blisters when applied to feet
17. reduces scaling and itching associated with dandruff
18. Therapeutic when applied to lesions caused by poison ivy
19. Can protect against harmful hair dyeing, perming and straightening chemicals when used as a mask around the hairline
20. Use a tiny dab to give a quick shine to your shoes and purses
21. Apply just a touch to the ends of your hair to hide dry and split ends
22. Removes make up stains from clothing
23. Rub a small dab over your nail polish to make your week old manicure look new again!
24. Removes false eyelash glue from your lash line
25. Apply a small amount on dry spots on your body before fake tanning lotions are appplied to prevent uneven tanning!
2 Bonus uses posted by http://beautybanter.blogspot.com
* Shaving Sensitive and "Intimate" areas- i.e. bikini and underarms
- Coat area with a light layer (make sure not to use too much or it will clog your razor), DON"T use water with this shave!
* If your feeling & looking a little tired, you can use a very thin layer of Vaseline on the brow bone & cheek bone (by itself, sans color) to make your eyes appear hydrated. They w ill literally "pop" without the need for a cat nap or some heavy duty concealer.
So another Holiday has passed and if you are like most of us out there you probably filled your little belly with all kinds of treats...I know I did! I have always had a problem with eating right I'm a sucker for junk food! Well a good way to evaluate your eating habits is by starting a Food Journal.
Try and record everything you eat along with the time you consumed it for about 2 weeks. After the initial 2 weeks take a good look at your daily food consumption. Are you eating enough whole grains? Fruits and veggies? Protein? Most of us aren't...so your food journal will help you see first hand where you need to change your eating habits. Maybe you find yourself eating a lot of snacks before you go to bed which can also lead to disruptions in your sleep and extra calories that no matter what anyone says really aren't burned off in your sleep. (* Try and stop eating at least 2 hrs before bedtime)
By seeing your habits written down right in front of your face it helps you realize you probably aren't eating as good as you should be and it's time to make a change.
If you need help analyzing your food journal and your daily calorie intake try and meet with a nutritionist. Some gyms have on staff nutritionists as well as hospitals. Check online and see if there are any free offerings near you...sometimes there are free seminars held at local medical centers and gym/fitness centers.
Thursday, April 9, 2009
www.totalbeauty.com has listed 22 must have products from Sephora...check them out.
1. Beautyblender Sponge, $18.50
2. CARGO Bronzer, $25
3. Nars Blush, $25
4. Vera Wang princess Eau de Toilette Spray, $25
5. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, $17
6. Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder, $34
7. Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes!, $18
8. Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler, $19
9. Sephora Kohl Pencil, $8
10. Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel, $21
11. Amazing Cosmetics Velvet Mineral Powder, $34
12. ModelCo Lip Lights, $28
13. Ojon Conditioning Volumizinf Foam, $22
14. Too Faced Shadow Insurance, $17
15. Frederic Fekkai Protein Rx Anti-Breakage Treatment Mask, $29
16. Cosmedicine Medi-Morphosis Self-Adjusting Exfoliator, $15
17. DDF Glycolic 10% Toning Complex, $32
18. Guerlain Meteorites Powder for the Face, $51
19. Aquolina Pink Sugar Hair Perfume Spray, $15
20. Demeter Fragrance Library Hawaiian Surf Cologne, $20
21. Philosophy Purity Made Simple, $20
22. Shiseido The Makeup Accentuating Color Stick, $32
If you don't have a Sephora near you, you can check out these products on their website...
Spring love is in the air so of course you want perfect kissable lips. Right???
Well quick tip for dry flaky lips...use a soft bristle tooth brush and gently brush the tooth brush across your lips. This will help remove all the excess dry skin! After use a lip balm to cover your lips to keep them moisturized! Carmex is always a great cheap lip balm that gives great moisture to your lips!
So my wonderful Blow Dryer is dying on me... I have had it for a couple years now so I'm sure it is time now. Because everytime I turn it on sparks start flying out of the sides!!! The last thing I would ever want is my hair to go up in flames!!! I probably wouldn't have even noticed this myself, so thank god my friend was over getting ready to go out the other night and noticed the tragedy! So I finally went out and bought a new one... after a couple risky days of sparks flying at my head. I bought the Conair Infiniti with the retractable cord in pink!! I loved my old hair dryer which was Conair as well and seriously consireded buying the same one but I decided to switch it up a bit. And today while sitting in the doctors office flipping through InStyle magazine's top Beauty Buys for 2009 they had my new dryer listed!!(Go pick up the InStlye Issue...so many great beauty buys!) So once I finally pull it out of the box and give it a try I will let you know if InStyle was right about it!
**** My old dryer is the red one on the left and my new one is the pink one on the right!
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
I just spotted this on www.beautybloggingjunkie.com
Take advantage of Urban Decay's Friends & Family promotion. Enter code FNFS9 at checkout. Offer ends April 17, 2009.
TotalBeauty.com has come up with 10 Beauty Breakthroughs.
Here they are in no particular order.
- L'Oreal EverPure Hair Care
- Olay Pro-X
- Clairol Perfect 10
- Neocell Super Collagen Powder
- AgelessFantasy by Harvey Prince
- Terressentials, Rare2B and Noah's Naturals
- Kiehl's Highly Efficient Skin-Tone Corrector
- Envision Beauty The Solution and Lancome High Resolution Refill-3X
Click here... 10 Beauty Breakthroughs
Monday, April 6, 2009
Whether you go to the salon to get your hair colored or do it yourself at home, it is inevitable that hair dye will end up stained on your face. Which isn't the prettiest site!! Well a few years back while my stylist was wiping off my face with a "product" to get the hair dye off, I asked her what they used to remove it. She explained to me it was Windex!! This was a very nice upscale salon so I thought she was crazy at first! But she explained to me how it is totally safe and works perfectly! Now anytime I try to do touch ups at home or have left the salon only to realize my stylist missed a spot I whip out my bottle of Windex and scrub away!! I haven't ever had any problems with my skin after using it either and I have very sensitive skin. I guess the Dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding was right...Windex works for everything!!
Friday, April 3, 2009
Total Beauty has listed their Top 20 Beauty buys to pick up at your local drug store.
(The prices listed may slightly vary from store to store)
So here they are...
1. Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant, $3.49
2. Dove Sensitive Skin Unscented Bar, $10.79 (pack of 8)
3. St. Ives Whipped Silk Intense Body Moisturizer, $4.99
4. N.Y.C. New York Color Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil, $3.99
5. Burt's Bees Repair Serum, $18.99
6. Max Factor Maxalicious Glaze, $6.99
7. Basis Cleaner Clean Face Wash, $5.49
8. Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Set, $9.99
9. Pantene Classic Touchable Hairspray, $4.46
10. Aveeno Intense Relief Medicated Therapy Chapstick, $3.69
11. L'Oreal Paris Skin Genesis Deep-Action Night Complex Intensive Treatment, $19.99
12. Jane Lipkick Rich Color, $4.49
13. Herbal Essences Color-Me-Happy Conditioner for Color-Treated Hair, $7.49
14. Suave Professionals Sleek Shampoo, $2.99
15. Wet n Wild Ultimate Expressions Eyeshadow Palette, $4.99
16. Revlon ColorStay Makeup with Softplex, $11.69
17. Conair ION Shine Ceramic Turbo 1875 Watts Dryer, $32.99
18. Maybelline New York Full 'N Soft Washable Mascara, $5.99
19. Olay Regenerist Thermal Contour and Lift, $29.99
20. Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes, $8.09
Click here to check out the full article and reviews on each product... 20 Best Drug Store Buys
It was actually a beautiful day out here in Metro Detroit yesterday so my workout buddy convinced me to go for a run outside. I love running outside, it's so peaceful and there are actually some great trails around here too! But let me tell you even though I have been running a bit on the treadmill lately I wasn't as prepared as I thought to keep up with my buddy on the trails! She has been training for a 10K run that actually takes place this weekend in South Carolina...Major props to her!! So she was definitely kicking my butt out on the trails. But even though I couldn't exactly run at her pace it was great for me because it pushed me to keep going and stay focused. If I was out by myself I'm sure I wouldn't have gone the distance I did. So if you aren't motivated to hit the trails, grab a buddy and you can challenge each other!
My goal is to be able to run her pace by the end of the summer. Then we can really go on some intense runs together and I won't feel like I'm going to hurl over and throw up...lol
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Pretty much everyone looks better with a little tan right? But risking getting skin cancer isn't really a risk we want to take. So applying SPF daily is very important! Well thanks to all of the beauty experts out there they have found many ways to incorporated SPF into our daily beauty products! Take foundation and moisturizer for example...I use a daily foundation that has SPF 18 in it, so with out any extra effort I am applying sunscreen daily.
Right now my favorite product is tinted moisturizer with SPF 15 by Cover Girl ( cheap price too!). This is a great product for when you are on the go or even in your daily routine! It gives you a sun kissed glow while moisturizing and providing SPF at the same time. I think this will be my go to beauty product for the Spring and the Summer seasons.
Oh... Guys you can use this too...just make sure you pick a shade close to your skin tone!
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Basket of Tricks
Save calories and leave room for your healthy entree at restaurants by asking your server to remove the bread basket from your dinner table.
Easier said than done
Leave 3 or 4 bites on your plate at every meal.
We have to forget all those years of our parents stressing to eat the last bite...
Start getting in the habit of skipping the fries and onion rings and ordering a side salad, cottage cheese or steamed vegetables when eating out.
This is better for your skin then all those greasy foods anyways!
This can also helps with your daily dose of whole grains...whole wheat flower can be substituted for up to half of the white processed flour in most baking recipes.
Try using skim milk instead of whole milk when the recipe calls for it too.